Monday, February 11, 2008

The Syariah Law Controversy in the UK



Rowan Williams did not expect the storm he unleashed when he mentioned that it was inevitable that aspects of syariah law would be implemented in the UK. This sparked off a flurry of hostility and calls for his resignation as the leader of the world's Anglican community. The Western media has been playing up the parts about hand-chopping and discrimination against women. However, the current debate in modern UK on Syarian law is probably instead more intended for divorce, inheritance and business for Muslims trying to reconcile both their Muslim and British identities. The Archbishop of Cantebury is enlightened enough to open this topic up for debate despite the howls of his critics. Should there be only one law in a liberal democracy but if so, how does multiculturalism fit in? In Singapore there is a Syariah court which mainly handles marriage-related issues. Maybe the Archbishop had this model in mind.

Too bad that the Islamphobes in the UK are loud and pushy enough to drown out any constructive discussion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO Sorry, as a British Muslim I would have to disagree with the Syariah law being imposed in Britain. Had it been a law that promoted equal and just rights for all, as Islam originally intended I would be all for it, but with certain high profile figures holding the strings, it's not something I would want to govern me. I do not have any 'older male' role models to decide or inherit my rights, nor do I wish a man to divorce me just by saying it three times, so what does that make me? Nor do I want polygamy to be seen as just, should the occasion ever hinder my life. Actually in some ways, I find a secualr law more Islamic as at least intends to focus on my rights as a human being, not just as a woman who should be told this and that.

Our dear Archbishop has done well in recognising laws of other faiths and bringing them to light. In the interest of free speech, the media has overreacted in response. But as a Muslim, I prefer to choose my own faith my own way in a place where I can practice it at my own pace, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

The syariah law has work well in Singapore and Malaysia, where there are 2 judicial systems. It would be a pity to deprive Muslims of their Syariah rights.